Thursday 19 May 2011

Edward Hardwicke

So I read today that actor Edward Hardwicke passed away of cancer at the age of 78. Alas, the copy of my newspaper was two days old, and I didn't notice. Stupid me. Excuse me while I scratch some dust out of my eye.

But I wanted to say, Edward Hardwicke wasn't my favourite Watson, but he truly was a wonderful one. The affection and warmth he brought to the role was will truly stay with me long after I've watched an episode. For example, that one moment in which he drapes a blanket over Jeremy Brett's Holmes in 'The Devil's Foot' was rather touching, Hardwicke bringing a quiet, calm, dignified concern and caring to Watson. Thank you for helping to dispel with the bumbling Watson, and giving us and him an intelligent, excellent character. Thank you for giving us this Watson, sir!

My comfort is thinking that Jeremy is waiting for him on the other side, with a smile and a hug for an old friend. Rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment